Visa and Residence Permit

As you might know, Hungary joined the Schengen Area in 2007. Since then visas and resident permits issued by the Schengen Member States are valid for the entire Area. (The Schengen regulations are only applicable for a stay not exceeding 90 days. Foreign nationals requesting entry to Hungary with a purpose of a long stay (a period exceeding 90 days) should submit a residence permit application.

  • Students from countries under visa obligation are required to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studies at the Hungarian Consulate in their home countries. If they meet all conditions for the student status, they will be granted entry permits. The entry permit is valid for a single entry and up to 30 days of stay in Hungary. Within thirty days on arrival, students will have to register their places of residence in Budapest at the Hungarian Immigration Office and verify that they actually enrolled in the institution of higher education which admitted them. The decision on the residence permit falls within the competence of the Office for Immigration in Hungary.

„RESIDENT VISA FOR STUDY PURPOSES” is to be obtained from the Hungarian Embassy/Consulate before departure in your own country. A “resident permit” application form can be downloaded from the website of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

  • Students from EU/EEA member states do not need visas to enter Hungary but they will be required to register their places of residence (addresses) at the Hungarian Immigration Office at the end of the first 90-day period of their stay.

  •  Students from visa-free countries may lodge their application for a residence permit in Hungary, directly at the Office for Immigration.